Fenland Gamers is a Wisbech-based group for people who enjoy playing board games. We are a friendly group who enjoy playing board games for a fun, social experience rather than competitively, although of course we all like to win the occasional game ;)

If you are in the Wisbech area and are interested in boardgaming, why not contact us?

Registering an account will give you access to our Session Planner so you can see what's going on.

Hello there. Looking to join the fun.

General Chat

Moderator: Whitespider1066

soupy

Hello there. Looking to join the fun.

Postby soupy » Thu Oct 13, 2016

Hi Guys.

Stumbled across this forum after doing a search to see if there was anything like this going on in my area of the country (I live in Watlington). I am pretty much a complete newbie to this style of advanced board gaming, but looking to learn, get involved and have fun. I'm 40 years old and would prefer to be in a similar age group - I wouldn't like to be the weird old dude hanging with the cool kids! I also have a mate who may be interested too.

So anyway if my inexperience and age hasn't put you off then I'd quite like to give this a try. I'm not on Facebook, so keep details to this thread or email me : Tonyroe1976@gmail.com.

How many people normally attend on average?

Thanks.

Joff
Site Admin

Re: Hello there. Looking to join the fun.

Postby Joff » Tue Oct 25, 2016

I missed this Tony, sorry.

First off, welcome to Fenland Gamers. Secondly, I'm 44, so age-wise, you'll be fine :)

Attendance at sessions varies, but on average we have about 4 or 5 members at any one time. Some of our members are new to the world of board games, others have more experience, but we'll always take time to accommodate new players, so no worries there; experience (of lack of) does not matter :) We play mainly for fun, rather than competitively, and always welcome newcomers to the hobby.

Edit: An up-to-date list of planned sessions for the remainder of the year can be found here

Whitespider1066
Site Moderator

Postby Whitespider1066 » Tue Oct 25, 2016

Hi Tony,

shame you aren't on Facebook, but I can understand why. I was for a longtime not using it. But then this hobby got me to! If you do go on there stay away from the UK boardgame trading and selling page it will hurt your pocket!
We do have a page on Facebook where all the events are listed for the group.
But here is a summary of them:
Tomorrow we have the start of a Formula D League which starts at 7pm and will be at the Orchard School.
Thursday from 4pm we have a game of Epic Zombicide taking place at The White Lion Hotel in Wisbech.
Friday is our weekly meetup at The White Lion Hotel, which normally starts at 6pm but this week starts at 4pm.
We have a monthly meetup on the second Wednesday of the month.
Plus there are usually other informal, last minute meetups arranged as well. These normally go up as a quick post on the groups Facebook page.

What we can do is email you the details of meetups when they get added to the page. I can't promise that for the last minute ones, but for the others I can.

I have a blog where I write poorly about boardgaming but I do talk about our game sessions http://whitespider1066.com/category/fenland-gamers/
Jonathan also keeps a blog on bgg called Level Playing Field, he is less prolific than me, but has a higher quality of writing. https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/4689

Also as a member of Fenland Gamers you get 10% off at The Hobbit Hole in Chatteris, which is our FLGS.

Oh and before I forget welcome!

Joff
Site Admin

Postby Joff » Tue Oct 25, 2016

Whitespider1066 wrote:But then this hobby got me to! If you do go on there stay away from the UK boardgame trading and selling page it will hurt your pocket!

Or better still, point out to Darren that it's a bargain on the board gaming selling page and let it hurt his pocket! ;)

Return to “Fenland Gamers Chat”